Licence confusion: distributing MSVC?71.DLL

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Mar 6 07:42:42 EST 2008

En Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:33:41 -0200, Tom Wright <tew24 at spam.ac.uk> escribi�:

> I've written a program in Python using wxPython and Matplotlib and would
> like to distribute it under the GPL.  For ease of use, I'd also like to
> distribute and installable version for Windows, but this needs
> MSVCR71.dll
> and MSVCP71.dll to work.  I've created an installer using py2exe and Inno
> Setup but I don't know if I'm allowed to distribute it or not.  I've
> found
> lots of conflicting opinions online indicating that I can or cannot
> distribute these, but no definitive answer.

Maybe this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/f8df5ed32b324a3f/
can help.

> The Microsoft Developer Network instructs me to read the redistribution
> instructions and the EULA which come with Visual Studio, but I don't have
> visual studio, so that's next to useless.

This EULA doesn't apply to you, but to the Python developers, which are
the actual Visual Studio users and have to comply with its license terms.
You're just repackaging Python, your program, and other required
components.
In any case, I don't think MS cares; after all, you're promoting their OS
and making life easier for Windows users.

--
Gabriel Genellina