Installing simplejson issues

blwatson at gmail.com blwatson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 19:54:36 EDT 2008

On Mar 29, 3:48 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> blwat... at gmail.com schrieb:
>

> > I am trying to install the twitter python wrapper...I got that
> > installed just fine, but am having serious troubles getting the
> > simplejson package to install.  I need help diagnosing where this is
> > failing.  I am trying to use:
>
> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi/simplejson
>
> > and I run "python setup.py build" and then "python setup.py install",
> > which both seem to work just fine.
>
> > I tried running with easy_install, but that too is not working.  I end
> > up with:
>
> > simplejson-1.8.1-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg
>
> > in my:
>
> > /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-
> > packages/
>
> > I am on Mac OS X 10.5.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Go to the turbogears file section and download an appropriate version of
> simplejson:
>
> http://www.turbogears.org/download/filelist.html
>
> I presume sj-1.7.4 is sufficient.
>
> Alternatively, be gentle to your unixish OS that OS X is, and install
> XCode. Which will install the whole GCC chain, making your OS a
> respected member of OS-community - as every system should be able to
> compile C-code, in which itself has been written.
>
> Then the install should work as well.
>
> Diez

I have already installed XCode...my compiel did not break the way the
above did.

I have grabbed the .egg file for simplejson 1.7.4 for Mac OS X 10.5 at
the above link you provided - it has a simplejson dir, with the exact
files that are in my simplejson directory for 1.8.1 (except none of
my .py files have been compiled down to bytecode).

I tried to add the directory "/<somepath>/simplejson" to my sys.path
in the interpreter, hoping that the call to import simplejson would
work if the dir was there, even though simplejson.py did not exist is
that dir, but the encoder, decoder, jsonfilter and scanner .py files
were all there.

My problem is that the call "import simplejson" fails.  How can I make
that call work?

Thanks in advance.