eval and unicode

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Mar 25 05:07:55 EDT 2008

> I think your confusion comes from the use of the interactive mode.

It is not. The example provided in the original post will also work when
you put then into a python source file.
> PEP 263 doesn't really apply to the interactive mode, hence the
> behavior in interactive mode is undefined, and may and will change
> across Python versions.

The expression passed to eval() cannot be considered an interactive session.
> Ideally, interactive mode should assume the terminal's encoding for source code, but that has not been implemented.

Again, please read the original messages - many of my examples also work
when you put them into a python source file. They have nothing to do
with terminals.

   Laszlo