Beta testers needed for a high performance Python application server

Manlio Perillo manlio_perilloNO at SPAMlibero.it
Wed Mar 26 14:58:40 EDT 2008

Il Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:31:39 +0000, Minor Gordon ha scritto:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for beta testers for a high performance, event-driven Python
> application server I've developed.
>
> About the server: the front end and other speed-critical parts of the
> server are written in portable, multithreaded C++. The back end is an
> embedded CPython interpreter. The server is much faster than anything in
> pure Python, and it can compete with C servers (including e.g. lighttpd
> for file workloads) or outdo them (e.g. anything behind Apache) until
> CPython consumes a single processor.

Have you tried my WSGI implementation for Nginx?
http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/nginx/mod_wsgi/

Its not a general purpose solution, but it can be of interest.

> On the Python side it supports WSGI
> (the server can handle the static and dynamic requests of MoinMoin with
> a handful of lines), the DB API with blocking calls offloaded to a
> connection in a separate thread (MySQL, SQLite supported), Google's
> ctemplate, gzipping responses, file caching, reading and writing to URIs
> as a client, AJAX integration, debugging as a Python extension, and a
> lot of other features. The core Python API is event-driven, using
> continuations like Twisted but much cleaner (continuations are any
> callables, there are no special objects anywhere). The Python back end
> also supports Stackless Python so all of the continuation machinery can
> be hidden behind tasklet switching.

I have recently added support for asynchronous application.
There are two examples: an application that execute a query to PostgreSQL
and an application that execute an HTTP request with pycurl:

http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/nginx/mod_wsgi/file/tip/examples/nginx-postgres-
async.py
http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/nginx/mod_wsgi/file/tip/examples/nginx-curl.py

Note that ngx.poll extension is still experimental.

> [...]

Manlio Perillo