tools to install not in python tree?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Mar 4 05:29:13 EST 2008

commander_coder at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some materials for a project that I am working on that I keep
> in a source code control system (svn now, but I'm experimenting with
> mercurial).  I want to install these things from the repository, but
> not into site-packages/ as Distutils wants to do.
>
> For instance there are some administrative scripts I want to put in ~/
> admin/  and some programs that I want in ~/public_html/ .   I also
> want to run some post-install routines (for instance, reset the
> database tables on my development machine).  So I'm looking for a tool
> to take things from a repository and install them into place.
> Something like:
>   install_from_repository.py -version "1.2.7"
> if there is a bug in 1.2.7 that I need to work on.
>
> Some of the things that I am looking for are like what setup.py does
> (for instance, changing the #! line on scripts or having a
> convenient .cfg file).  But as I understand it setup only targets
> installing below sys.prefix; is that right?

You can use setuptools. And it will install to any path available on
sys.path. So if you define PYTHONPATH pointing to some folder, you can use
setuptools to install the code (eggs) as well as create script
entry-points, so if the same path is part of PATH they will become
available on the command line.

Diez