wxPython/wxWidgets ok for production use ?

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Mar 11 11:21:55 EDT 2008

Stefan Behnel  <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>Just to make this sound a bit less like FUD: my last experience with wxPython
>dates back a couple of years (2004/5?), but back then, we used BoaConstructor
>in a project, which crashed a bit too often to do real work with it - and with
>crashing I mean crashing Python, not just showing us its blank traceback. So
>this was definitely a problem either in wxWindows or in wxPython.

I spent a couple of years maintaining and developing a series of
commercial wxPython-based applications (up until about 18 months ago
when I changed job), and I would happily describe wxPython itself as
stable enough for production code. The biggest problem I had with it
was its failure to be anywhere near as transparently cross-platform as
one might be lead to expect.

And before you blame wx* for crashes: what platform was this on?
Because my experience was that wx on GTK was significantly more prone
to glitches than on Windows (through to wxglade being unusably crashy)
-- if the underlying toolkit has problems, that's going to be
reflected in wx.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
        -- Arthur C. Clarke