Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun Mar 23 21:35:48 EDT 2008

On 23 Mrz., 09:31, Arnaud Delobelle <arno... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 8:14 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
>
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:15:00 -0700, John Nagle wrote:
> > > That's some professor inventing his very own variation on predicate
> > > calculus and writing a book using his own notation and terminology.
> > > There's no sign of footnotes or references to prior work.  The notation
> > > doesn't seem to do anything not previously possible; it's just
> > > different.
>
> > You say that as if it were unusual in maths circles :)
>
> Haha.  As opposed to programmers who have all agreed to use the same
> language.
>
> Anyway, I have browsed the book and agree with Paul Rubin that there
> doesn't seem to be any unusual notation in it, although there are a
> numbers of topics that I am not really familiar with.
>
> --
> Arnaud

The author at least introduces his notation in the initial chapter.
This is good style among mathematicians who introduce conventions at
the beginning of their books or in an appendix.

Note that I'm with Paul here but I'm not sure what John is complaining
about anyway. Maybe sequent calculus ( natural deduction ) which was
introduced by Gentzen around 75 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequent_calculus