List as FIFO in for loop

rockingred willsteve2003 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 10 11:02:23 EDT 2008

On Mar 8, 5:37 pm, malkarouri <malkaro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:24 pm, rockingred <willsteve2... at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > I think it's a bad practice to get into.  Did you intend to do the
> > "process" step again over the added variables?  If not I would set a
> > new variable, based on your awful naming convention, let's call it z.
> > Then use z.append(y) within the for loop and after you are out of your
> > for loop, q.append(z).
>
> Thanks, rockingred, for the advice. I hope that you didn't assume that
> I was a newbie, even if my question looks so. What I was trying to do
> is write some Python code which I need to optimize as much as
> possible. I am using Cython (Pyrex) and would probably end up
> rewriting my whole module in C at one point, but it is really hard to
> beat Python data structures at their home turf. So meanwhile, I am
> making use of dubious optimizations - on my own responsibility. There
> have been a lot of these along the years - like using variables
> leaking from list expressions (not anymore). Think of it as a goto.
> Yes, I intend to do the process step again over the added variables.
> The suggested deque is probably the best, though I need the speed
> here.
> What are the variable naming you would suggest, for a throwaway -
> probably anonymized for the same of publishing on the web - code?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Muhammad Alkarouri

If the variables are "throwaways" and will be used in a really small
function, then it's probably okay to name them the way you did.  I'm
just against single character names on principal, because if you need
to search a program to find where the variable was used you get too
many hits.  I prefer to name the variables for what they do.  For
example, instead of "q" you could use "queue".