PyCon Feedback and Volunteers (Re: Pycon disappointment)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 20:32:15 EDT 2008

On 17 Mar, 01:09, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

> PyCon is what YOU make of it.  If you want to change PyCon, propose a
> presentation or join the conference committee (concom) -- the latter only
> requires signing up for the pycon-organizers mailing list.
>
> This doesn't mean that we are uninterested in feedback.  We love
> feedback.  But there are stark limits to what we can do unless people get
> involved and push their pet projects.

The same rules apply for most of the other Python conferences, too.
Apologies to Aahz for hijacking his rant, but for anyone interested in
enhancing the EuroPython 2008 experience, the advice is fairly
similar: join the volunteers organising the conference and make what
you want to see actually happen. For EuroPython, start here:

http://www.europython.org/community/Volunteers

If EuroPython is too remote or not to your taste, help your local
conference or the Python conference which caters to your specific
interests:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonConferences
http://www.pycon.org/ (a list of the big generic Python conferences)

Constructive feedback is always welcome, but it's better to change
things before your favourite conference so that it remains your
favourite conference.

Paul