Regarding coding style

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Mar 9 00:27:42 EST 2008

On 2008-03-09, sjdevnull at yahoo.com <sjdevnull at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even in the early 1990s the moral equivalent of enscript (I think it
> was a2ps)

I still use a2ps occasionally, but rarely for printing out
source code.  I occasionally print out hex dumps that I need to
markup to figure out what's going on.

> worked just fine for printing with filenames, line/page
> numbers,

It still does.

> and other niceties no matter what editor you used. It seems
> more reasonable to mandate using a sane print tool for the odd
> case where someone wants to print things out than to mandate
> cluttering up every file with the filename in a comment.

And guess what?  After a while, files get renamed and nobody
remembers to change the comments.

If people really want a filename in the top of the file, they
should at least use something like a CVS or SVN variable so
that it's generated automagically and can't be wrong.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want DUSTIN
                                  at               HOFFMAN!! ... I want