help on file storage for split multi part download

coolman.guron at gmail.com coolman.guron at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 01:16:42 EST 2008

On Mar 7, 1:38 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:34:27 -0200, <coolman.gu... at gmail.com> escribi�:
>
> > storage class which can write the file splits that are currently being
> > downloaded to the disk. this is exactly what other download
> > accelerators do, i guess.
>
> > can this be done using the python file class?? i am pretty good at
> > handling file uploads (at server end) this is the first time i have to
> > think the other way round.
>
> Uh, unless I misundersand you, a standard file object is enough. First
> create a file with the required size (open(...,'wb'), seek(n-1),
> write(chr(0))). For each downloaded chunk you have to know its position in
> the file; then just seek() and write() it.
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

well yes its possible to use the file class that way.

BUT the thing thats going in my mind is thread safety. i plan to start
each part of the file download in a different thread. and then when
each thread had downloaded more than 100kb (or eof or boundary
reached) write the buffer to the disk. can this be achieved using
mutex ? i have never shared objects between threads.

is there a way to write this without using threads at all ???