Book Recomendations

David Lees debl2NoSpam at verizon.net
Sun Mar 2 20:49:03 EST 2008

Ira Solomon wrote:
> I am an experienced programmer (40 years).  I've done Algol (if you've
> heard of that you must be old too), PL/1, VB,VBA, a little C, and a
> few other odd languages (e.g. Taskmate).
> I'm interested in learning Python and have downloaded a slew of books.
> Too many.
> I'd like a recommendation as to which books are considered to be the
> cream of the crop.
> I know there are tutorials on the web, but, again, I don't know the
> quality.  I would appreciate recommendations on those as well.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ira
Different people have different learning styles.  Two books I like are
Wesley Chun's Core Python Programming (2nd edition) and Mangnus
Hetland's Beginning Python.  Have fun with Python.  I discovered it
about 7 years ago, use it by choice for my intermittent programming
requirements and find it a pleasure to use.  Also this group is very
helpful.

(My programming experience also goes back to Algol, Basic and assembler
circa 1965.  Which makes me middle aged, but not necessarily experienced
:)  )

David