Licence confusion: distributing MSVC?71.DLL

jim-on-linux inq1ltd at inqvista.com
Thu Mar 6 10:19:03 EST 2008

> > If someone has worked their way through
> > this maze before and has an answer, I'd
> > be keen to hear it.

This is what someone wrote  on 1-21-2007
to this help site about this pain in the a...
MSVCR71 stuff.

" I believe this problem doesn't exist.
Licensees of Python are permitted
to redistribute mscvr71.dll, as long as they
redistribute it in order
to support pythonxy.dll. The EULA says

# You also agree not to permit further
distribution of the
# Redistributables by your end users except
you may permit further
# redistribution of the Redistributables by
your distributors to your
# end-user customers if your distributors
only distribute the
# Redistributables in conjunction with, and
as part of, the Licensee
# Software, you comply with all other terms
of this EULA, and your
# distributors comply with all restrictions
of this EULA that are
# applicable to you.

In this text, "you" is the licensee of VS
2003 (i.e. me, redistributing
msvcr71.dll as part of Python 2.5), and the
"Redistributable" is
msvcr71.dll. The "Licensee Software" is "a
software application product
developed by you that adds significant and
primary functionality to the
Redistributables", i.e. python25.dll.

IANAL; this is not legal advise."

jim-on-linux