sendmail should throw an exception but does not

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Tue Mar 25 09:50:03 EDT 2008

Clodoaldo napisał(a):

> I need to know if an email was refused for whatever reason, it makes
> no difference.
>
> The email is sent to an email address that does not exist in a foreign
> domain. I can see in the postfix log that the email was sent and
> bounced with the error code 550.
>
> The problem is that sendmail should throw an exception but it does
> not. And the returned dictionary is empty as if the email was
> accepted.
>
> d = smtpserver.sendmail(sender, recipient, m.as_string())
>
> I guess that the error code returned by the destination mail server is
> not is not forwarded to the client by my mail server.

Your local smtpd accepted the message for delivery, so everythong seems
to be OK. Following communication takes place between mail servers, so
your program has no possibility to know anything went wrong.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Skype: jzgoda | GTalk: zgoda at jabber.aster.pl | voice: +48228430101

"We read Knuth so you don't have to." (Tim Peters)