Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

bsoist soistmann at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:34:31 EDT 2008

On Mar 22, 12:40 pm, jmDesktop <needin4mat... at gmail.com> wrote:
> For students 9th - 12th grade, with at least Algebra I.  Do you think
> Python is a good first programming language for someone with zero
> programming experience?  Using Linux and Python for first exposure to
> programming languages and principles.
>
> Thank you.

Absolutely. I love using Python in "the real world" but it is
fantastic for beginning programmers.

Python enforces good habits and presents many opportunities to discuss
programming from an academic perspective. Why does Python not have a
switch or until statement? Why are very common objects (stack, queue,
linked list) not builtin? etc.

I have seen 14 and 15 year old students who have never done any
programming begin to write real object oriented programs after 60
hours or so of classroom instruction.