Problem with zipfile and newlines

neilcrighton at gmail.com neilcrighton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 17:38:24 EDT 2008

I think I've worked it out after reading the 'Binary mode for files'
section of http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/python_pitfalls.html

zipfile extracts as file as a binary series of characters, and I'm
writing out this binary file as a text file with open('foo','w').
Normally Python converts a '\n' in a text file to whatever the
platform-dependent indication of a new line is ('\n' on Unix, '\r\n'
on Windows, '\r' on Macs).  So it sees '\r\n' in the binary file and
converts it to '\r\r\n' for the text file.

The upshot of this is that writing out the zipfile-extracted files
with open('foo','wb') instead of open('foo','w') solves my problem.