PyCon Feedback and Volunteers ( Pycon disappointment)

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 17 09:35:09 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

Aahz writes:

> In article <873aqp6bbq.fsf at physik.rwth-aachen.de>,
> Torsten Bronger  <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I see no reason why the "fault" for parts of the rest being
>> sub-optimal, too, must necessarily be on the attendee's side.
>> (Just hypothetically; I wasn't at PyCon.)
>
> Let's suppose you have a group of friends who collectively throw a
> party.  They invite you to help out organizing it and putting it
> together, but you choose not to.  If you don't have a good time at
> the party because it wasn't what you wanted, I think it's fair to
> say it was your fault.  And I think exactly the same thing is true
> for PyCon, albeit on a much larger scale.

Fair enough.  But then I question the sensibility in saying "it is
XY's fault" at all.

Somebody not involved in organising was not happy with the Con.  You
may take the criticism or leave it.  The criticism may be justified
or not.  But saying that it is "his fault" is useless in my opinion,
it even discourages feedback.  It think it's okay to evaluate
something that you didn't help coming into existence.  A good point
is a good point no matter who makes it.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger at jabber.org