Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Sat Mar 22 17:10:39 EDT 2008

Arnaud Delobelle wrote:

> Anyway, here the conclusion that I draw: learn lambda-calculus and
> Turing machines.  The rest is syntactic sugar.

How is the lambda-calculus fundamentally different from Turing
machine-based implementations?

I've been learning a fair amount about functional programming recently,
mostly because compile-time C++ turns out to be a pure functional
programming language.  Where should I go for a solid grounding in
lambda-calculus?

Also, despite reassurances to the contrary, I still get the impression
that there is a strong anti-lambda sentiment among the Python "in"
crowd.  Is it just a question of the word "lambda," as opposed to
perceived cleaner syntax?

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0290/#replacing-common-uses-of-lambda

--
Said the Rabbi Hillel, "All the rest is commentary."