parralel downloads

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Sat Mar 8 11:47:45 EST 2008

poof65 wrote:
> For your problem you have to use threads.

Not at all true.  Thread provide one way to solve this, but another is
the select function.  For this simple case, select() may (or may not) be
easier to write.  Pseudo-code would look something like this:

  openSockets = list of sockets one per download file:
  while openSockets:
    readySockets = select(openSockets ...) # Identifies sockets with
data to be read
    for each s in readSockets:
      read from s and do whatever with the data
      if s is at EOF: close and remove s from openSockets

That's it.  Far easier than threads.

Gary Herron