Psyco alternative

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Mar 27 10:44:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:19:11 +0100, "Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>> Ok, i know this. The one that i do not know, is if, let'say, in 2
>> years it will be ready for seriously development, PyPy will aim to
>> "replace" CPython entirely ?? We are talking about an whole new
>> distribution ?
>
>Most certainly not. It's the goal of each language to finally become
>self-hosted, and I hope we see that for python. But that's nothing that
>will happen anytime soon (soon being at least half a decade), and most
>probably not for the 2.x-versions.

PyPy is self-hosted and has been for some time (a year or so?).  Maybe
you're saying that PyPy won't replace CPython for at least five years?
Could be; prediction is hard. ;)  PyPy is between 1x and 3x slower than
CPython for a lot of things, which isn't so much of a difference.  A
bigger obstacle is the availability of third-party extension modules
which currently must be re-implemented in order to be available on PyPy.
This could easily take half a decade without a full-time or otherwise
concerted effort.

Jean-Paul