Regarding coding style

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Mar 7 16:22:01 EST 2008

On 2008-03-07, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Professional typesetters, using proportional fonts, don't use double-
> spaces because it throws off word spacing and line justification and just
> plain looks ugly.

They do, however, put more space between sentences than they do
between words within a sentence.  It is that practice which the
"two spaces after a period" rule in typewriting is attempting
to emulate.

> I suppose that since coders typically use non- proportional
> fonts, we can at least justify the use of two spaces with a
> claim that it aids readability for "typewriter fonts" -- if
> you believe such a thing, which I do not.

My thumb has been putting two spaces after a period for 30
years, so the chances that it's going to change are rather
slim. :)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! A shapely CATHOLIC
                                  at               SCHOOLGIRL is FIDGETING