first interactive app

Tim Arnold tim.arnold at sas.com
Wed Mar 26 15:52:42 EDT 2008

hi,
I want to write a tiny interactive app for the following situation:
I have books of many chapters that must be split into volumes before going
to the printer.
A volume can have up to 600 pages. We obviously break the book into volumes
only at chapter breaks. Since some chapters make a natural grouping, we want
some human interaction for where the volume breaks occur.

Not having experience with interactive apps, I'm asking for advice about how
to go about it. The data I start with is just a dictionary with chapter name
= ending page number. I figured I would first show where the volumes would
break with no human interaction, with the begin and ending chapter
names/pagenumbers for each volume.

>From here I thought about having a slider for each volume, but the number of
volumes could change during the session.
Or maybe I should just ask 'enter the ending chapter for the first volume'
and recalculate, etc until all volumes are defined.

Any ideas on a simple interface for this?
thanks,
--Tim