finding euclidean distance,better code?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 29 05:11:28 EDT 2008

Steven D'Aprano schreef:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:59:59 +0100, Robert Bossy wrote:
>
>> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>>> That's what I said in another paragraph. "sum of coordinates" is using
>>> a different distance definition; it's the way you measure distance in a
>>> city with square blocks. I don't know if the distance itself has a
>>> name, but
>> I think it is called Manhattan distance in reference of the walking
>> distance from one point to another in this city.
>
> You know, there are other cities than Manhattan. Some of them even have
> streets and blocks.

I'm not sure what your point is. The name of the distance happens to be
Manhattan distance (or taxicab distance, rectilinear distance, L1
distance, city block distance; see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_distance) so Robert has a valid
point.

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven