Licensing

DS ds-python-list at sidorof.com
Sat Mar 29 14:24:34 EDT 2008

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm hoping someone
will point me in the right direction.

I'm getting ready to publish a first open-source project written in
python.  I am planning to use GPLas the license.  However, in my code,
there is a function that I like from Python Cookbook.  I would like to
use it, although I could certainly write a less elegant version that
would do the same thing.

So, my options appear to be:
1.   Don't use it.
2.   Use it with no comment -- that doesn't seem right.
3.   Use it with remarks in the code that acknowledge the source.
4.   Provide a separate licensing page for that function
       along with the GPL for my code.

What is the appropriate course of action here?  I'm thinking #3 is
probably ok.  How do others deal with this in an honorable way?  In the
book, it appears that they are saying they don't really care unless
there is some massive use.

Thanks