identifying and parsing string in text file

Bryan.Fodness at gmail.com Bryan.Fodness at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 14:49:31 EST 2008

I have a large file that has many lines like this,

<element tag="300a,0014" vr="CS" vm="1" len="4"
name="DoseReferenceStructureType">SITE</element>

I would like to identify the line by the tag (300a,0014) and then grab
the name (DoseReferenceStructureType) and value (SITE).

I would like to create a file that would have the structure,

     DoseReferenceStructureType = Site

Also, there is a possibility that there are multiple lines with the
same tag, but different values.  These all need to be recorded.

So far, I have a little bit of code to look at everything that is
available,

     for line in open(str(sys.argv[1])):
          i_line = line.split()
          if i_line:
               if i_line[0] == "<element":
                    a = i_line[1]
                    b = i_line[5]
                    print "%s     |     %s" %(a, b)

but do not see a clever way of doing what I would like.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Bryan