What is The Eric4 IDE???

some one noreply at noreply.org
Thu Mar 20 06:45:15 EDT 2008

I wanted to ask some opinions on the Eric4 Python IDE, It was the second
result from google using the search term "Python IDE" (Quotes Included
in the search), the first being
http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments !

I haven't downloaded or installed it yet, since it has the prerequisites
of:

1) Python 2.4.0 or better http://www.python.org/download/
2) Qt 4.2.0 or better (from Trolltech)
http://trolltech.com/solutions/solutions-opensource
3) PyQt 4.1.0 or better (from Riverbank)
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/index.php
4) QScintilla 2.1 or better (from Riverbank)
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/qscintilla/index.php

I see on the Eric4 website ( http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/eric4-
download.html ) that it is also a commercial product for those not
working with OpenSource, so I hope it's safe to assume that it's a good
product to use for working with Python.

I'd like some other opinions about it before I download and install all
the prerequisites.  They probably require their own specific
configurations.

Is there an OpenSource bundle with all the prerequisites for a smoother
install?

Is there a specific order to install the prerequisites?

Thanks in advance for your replies.