Problem with python

Sat Mar 29 18:33:56 EDT 2008

Lie wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2:57 am, mac_the_sco... at hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hi there.
>> I ... started writing simple programs in the python gui...  when I write
>> python code ...[and]... double click it all that happens is a black box
>> flashes up on the screen, but nothing else!? ....
>
> open the program in IDLE (or any other Python IDEs). I'm guessing that
> your program is printing a traceback (error) when trying to get input
> that's why it immediately closes itself.

Another possibility is to open a shell (or command window or "dos box"),
and in that window type in "python myfile.py" You'll see error messages
because the display window does not depend on the program staying alive.

By the way, a better thing to have said when you asked this would
include your OS, the python version, and the GUI system you are using.
Those details matter.  If you are doing wxPython programming, for
example, you cannot easily use IDLE for your program (GUI systems
fight for control of the display).

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org