What Programming Languages Should You Learn Next?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Mar 19 03:43:23 EDT 2008

wesley chun wrote:
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/03/18/1633229.shtml
>
> it was surprising and disappointing that Python was not mentioned
> *anywhere* in that article [...]

Probably because Ruby is all hot and sexy nowadays ;-) Though it's
remarkably close to Python, apparently. So close that I couldn't be
bothered to learn it.

In fact, for me personally, Python was about the last programming
language I learnt out of intrinsic motivation. I tried to take a look at
functional langugages like Haskell and Erlang, but I tend to quickly get
bored of toy examples and can learn best if I can apply a new language
to a real problem that it can solve better than the other languages I
know. Haven't found that killer problem so far ...

-- Gerhard