Creating a file with $SIZE

Chris cwitts at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:52:53 EDT 2008

On Mar 12, 12:32 pm, "k.i.n.g." <nkanthiki... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like create files of different size, taking size as user
> input. I need to check the data transfer rates from one network to
> another . In order to do this I will have to create files of diff size
> and work out. I am new to Python
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> KK

Welcome to Python.

If you just want to create files with random junk from the user input
then maybe something along these lines would help:

import sys, random

def random_junk(number_of_characters):
    tmp = []
    while number_of_characters:
        tmp.append(random.randint(0, 127))
        number_of_characters -= 1
    return ''.join(map(str,tmp))

if len(sys.argv) < 2:
    sys.exit('Usage:python %s <space seperated
filesizes>'%sys.argv[0])

for each_argv in sys.argv[1:]:
    output_file = open(each_argv,'wb').write(random_junk(each_argv))