app runs fine with interpreter, but not under py2exe

GHUM haraldarminmassa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:09:59 EDT 2008

Doug,
>   File "VisionTrainer.py", line 49, in <module>
>   File "SessionController.pyc", line 53, in <module>
>   File "VisionEgg\__init__.pyc", line 42, in <module>
>   File "VisionEgg\ParameterTypes.pyc", line 28, in <module>
>   File "Numeric.pyc", line 93, in <module>
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 26, in <module>
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 23, in _fill_table
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 18, in _get_precisions
> TypeError: data type not understood

to my knowledge, "data type not understood" is a message not from core
Python, but rather thrown from "your" code. What is happening around
Precision.py, line 18?

What does trigger that exception?

My guess is, you are dealing with some custom imported modules which
define "data type"s.
(PIL does something similiar for supported images)... that is, some
module is trying to import all definitions from a specific directory.

That "dynamic importing" fails within py2exe --- all the importing has
to be definit at py2exing-time. Please ready http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/PIL_and_py2exe
and the other receipe on py2exe.org and try to adapt that knowledge to
your application.

Harald

Harald