CTypes, 64 bit windows, 32 bit dll

rdahlstrom roger.dahlstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:22:04 EDT 2008

So I have a 64 bit Windows 2003 system, running python 2.5.1.1.

I can import a Windows .dll (msvcrt or whatever) using ctypes, but
when attempting to import another application-specific .dll (tibrv.dll
if anyone is familiar with it), I receive the error WindowsError:
[Error 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I know there's a Windows on Windows (wow) which allows 32 bit
processes to run on 64 bit windows - is there a way to work this in
somehow?  Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Code is simple, and works on 32 bit systems no

from ctypes import *
#this doesn't work
tibrv = cdll.tibrv
#this does work