Beginner advice

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Mon Mar 31 01:23:00 EDT 2008

I have been tasked to come up with an audio recorder desktop (cross
platform if possible - but linux only is OK) that:

1. records a lecture as an MP3 file (pymedia?)
2. Provides a login form for server credentials
3. Uploads via XMLRPC (pyxmlrpclib) to the server as a podcast

I have been working on this (having never really worked with Python
before) for the past 24 hours or so, and would just like to get some
feedback on the direction that I am taking if possible.

1. Is pymedia an active project? Should I use something else?

2. GUI design - I am using glade designer and pyGTK. Good choice?

3. pyXMLRPClib - active? Something better?

4. I see that there are literally thousands of somewhat external looking
libraries for python, I presume that there is some way of bundling all
the deps into a single source and then compiling? or otherwise packaging
them all (this software will be for academia, so difficult installs are
out!)

5. Editor - I am using Eric (which I quite like), any advice on IDE's?

Any help would be massively appreciated! Python looks like a *really*
easy and powerful language (hey, I managed to do a desktop application
in a few hours and I am a botanist!) and I would like to do a lot more
with it. I have a PHP background (taught myself that also) so C syntax
is almost like my native tongue :) but Python syntax seems just as easy,
if not easier!

I am still going through Mark Pilgrims' tutorials (dive into ones) and
am slowly getting the hang of things, so if these questions seem inane,
please do excuse me and feel free to tell me to RTFM!

Thanks

--Paul