Beginner advice

Graham Ashton graham.ashton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:02:30 EDT 2008

On Mar 31, 8:15 am, Paul Scott <psc... at uwc.ac.za> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, now I just need some justification on the
> GTK/GUI stuff - wxWidgets, GTK+ Glade or other?

pyGTK is great. I used it quite heavily a year or so ago. GTK is a
nice tool kit from the user's perspective too; you can make some
rather attractive and usable applications with it, and the GUI builder
is a boon. Obviously it integrates slightly better into it's native
platform than it does Mac/Windows, but if you're targetting Ubuntu
users then it's a great choice.

I've never used wxWidgets in anger but I didn't take to it having used
pyGTK quite extensively. I guess it just wasn't for me. Back then
(things may have changed) it didn't (visually) integrate quite so well
into a modern GNOME desktop either, even though it was using GTK to
draw the widgets. I'd re-evaluate it if I really wanted to build a
cross platform app though.