Types, Cython, program readability

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Mar 16 10:51:03 EDT 2008

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> It seems the development of Cython is going very well, quite
> differently from the dead-looking Pyrex.

I'll leave others to comment on how dead Pyrex is or isn't ...

> Hopefully Cython will become
> more user-friendly too (Pyrex is far from being user-friendly for
> Windows users, it doesn't even contain a compiler, I think. The
> ShedSkin Windows installer contains an old but working MinGW, and this
> is positive).

I'm not entirely sure why you think Pyrex should "contain a compiler".
It certainly works well enough with the free [beer] MS VS 2008 Express
and I'm fairly sure it's fine with MingW. Both of those are readily
available and I don't imagine anyone who's going to use Pyrex / Cython /
ShedSkin is going to baulk at downloading a compiler set :)

TJG