Python regex

Andrew Rekdal
Thu Mar 13 16:03:56 EDT 2008

I hope posting is ok here for this question...

I am attempting to extract the text from a CSS comment using 're' such as...

string = "/* CSS comment /*"
exp = "[^(/*)].*[^(*/)] "

p = re.compile(exp)
q = p.search(string)
r = q.group()

print r

>>CSS comment

although this works to a degree... I know the within the brackets everything
is taken literally so the pattern
I am to negating is "(/*)". ie. includes the parenthesis.

So my question is...

Is there a way to negate a pattern that is more than on character long? eg.
where rather than saying if forward slash OR astrisk appear..negate.

I would be saying if parenthesis AND asterisk appear in this order... negate

-- Andrew