Removal of tkinter from python 3.0? [was: Fate of the repr module in Py3.0]

Simon Forman sajmikins at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 20:43:59 EDT 2008

On Mar 19, 11:39 pm, "Daniel Fetchinson" <fetchin... at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > Was looking at PEP 3108,http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3108/,
> > and saw that the repr module was slated for vaporization. I've only
> > used the module a few times ever. I'm curious if the community wants
> > it kept around or whether it is considered clutter.
>
> > The PEP is going to be finalized soon, so if you have issues with it,
> > they should be sent to the PEP author or brought up on the list,
> >http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/stdlib-sig.
>
> Is it just me or others also think that it would be a major loss to
> remove tkinter from the python core? PEP 3108 starts off with:
>
> Each module to be removed needs to have a justification as to why it
> should no longer be distributed with Python.
>
> then goes on with,
>
> With so many other GUI options out there that are considered better
> than Tkinter, it might be best to remove Tkinter from the stdlib and
> make it an externally maintained package.
>
> I don't get it. There are many [insert your favorite software
> component] options outside of the python core that are considered
> better than the one coming with python, yet they don't get removed.
> All network servers for example could be thrown out because twisted is
> considered better. This just doesn't make sense to me. Tkinter is
> great for its purpose, typical use cases are creating a simple GUI
> composed of a couple of components only. You can nicely do this with
> tkinter and the large user base shows that it's a real need real
> people have. Sure, for fancy GUI stuff there are better options but
> for quick and simple things tkinter is just great. And last time I
> checked python comes with batteries included so why sould I need to
> search and download a third party package for such a common use case?
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

I've been thinking of volunteering to "port" Tkinter to Python 3.0, I
hadn't noticed that there was any discussion of removing it.  It would
be a shame IMHO.  Sure it has warts, but it /works/ and good for quick
and dirty GUIs as well as elaborate (even totally visually customized)
fancy applications.

~Simon