Is this a good time to start learning python?

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:40:40 EDT 2008

Recently I woke up inclined to take up the task of learning another
programming language. I've already dipped my toes in Perl (I've read online
tutorials and wrote a couple of irrelevant pet projects) but, as the
computers at my workplace only sport the python interpreter, it probably
means that learning python will end up serving me better, at least in the
short run. Plus, you know how Perl goes.

So far the decision seems to be a no brainer. Yet, Python 3000 will arrive
in a few months. As it isn't backwards compatible with today's Python,
there is the risk that no matter what I learn until then, I will end up
having to re-learn at least a considerable part of the language. To put it
in other words, I fear that I will be wasting my time.

At least that is what a clueless newbie believes. As this group is
frequented by people who have more insight into all things pythonesque,
what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help
Rui Maciel