Summary of threading for experienced non-Python programmers?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Mar 29 09:49:31 EDT 2008

> I appreciate the droll sense of humor, but do you mean to
> assert that asyncore.py supports asynchronous disk file I/O?

As I said in an answer to the OP, I somewhat glossed over the "file" and
just read IO. And under Posix, python *does* support asynchronous IO
using the select-module. If you can faciliate that using the asynchore
module I can't say, but the question was if python as whole supported
async IO out of the box - asyncore & twisted I mention as references of
implementations using that.

> What that means to me is, you queue a disk read, and there's
> an event flag or something that you can wait for before you
> come back to find the data in your buffer.  (That's how I
> remember it from the old days, when it mattered a little,
> though not enough that I ever remember actually doing it,
> and 20 years later I guess the incentive is even less.)

Which is exactly what select allows you to do. You pass a set of
file-descriptors and are notified if data arrives or has been
successfully transmitted.

Diez