Can't get bsddb working on Solaris 8

partofthething partofthething at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 23:55:54 EDT 2008

I've been struggling with this all day. I am trying to get Python 2.5
running with the BerkeleyDB bindings provided by bsddb.

First, I downloaded the BerkeleyDB system (version 4.5) from
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/index.html.

Then, I downloaded bsddb from http://pybsddb.sourceforge.net/ and
built it using my python 2.5 install with python2.5 setup.py build and
python2.5 setup.py install. During the install, the scripts explain
that they found the BerkeleyDB system version 4.5 right where I
installed it to.

I even tried rebuilding all of Python after my BerkeleyDB was set up.

My error persists:

 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/bsddb/__init__.py", line 51, in
<module>
    import _bsddb
ImportError: No module named _bsddb

This is a Solaris 8 machine (SunOS 5.8). I've added the library path (/
usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.5/lib) to LD_LIBRARY_PATH before building.

I'm out of ideas. Any help? Thanks.