ftp recursively

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Wed Mar 19 00:03:16 EDT 2008

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:25:28 -0300, Jeff Schwab <jeff at schwabcenter.com>
> escribió:
>
>> I need to move a directory tree (~9GB) from one machine to another on
>> the same LAN.  What's the best (briefest and most portable) way to do
>> this in Python?
>
> See Tools/scripts/ftpmirror.py in your Python installation.

Thank you, that's perfect.  Thanks to Arnaud as well, for the pointer to
ftplib, which might useful for other purposes as well.

Per the earlier advice of other posters (including one whose message
seems mysteriously to have disappeared from c.l.python), I just stuck
with the Unix tools I already knew: I ended up tarring the whole 9GB,
ftping it as a flat file, and untarring it on the other side.  Of
course, the motivation wasn't just to get the files from point A to
point B using Unix (which I already know how to do), but to take
advantage of an opportunity to learn some Python; next time, I'll try
the ftpmirror.py script if it's generic enough, or ftplib if there are
more specific requirements.