popening a process in a specific working directory

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 00:01:57 EST 2008

I have a small multi-threaded program that spawns a number of threads
that each spawn a particular process in a particular temporary
directory.  My problem is that using os.chdir to change the working
directory before popening the process doesn't always work because
another thread might change the cwd as it starts, before the process in
this thread can start up.

I'm currently using popen2.Popen4.  Is there a way to properly specify a
particular working directory when launching a process in python?  I've
hacked around my problem by writing a bash wrapper script that accepts
the working directory as a parameter, changes the directory, then spawns
the original program with the arguments.  This works, but I'd like a
better way.

Michael