Can I run a python program from within emacs?

Paulo da Costa pmc411-usenet at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 11:51:45 EDT 2008

Jeff Schwab wrote:
> jmDesktop wrote:

> Sort of.  Modern editors generally have support for building and running
> your program directly from a toolbar button or textual command.  I
> personally use Vim with the toolbar disabled, running in a Terminal, and
> run the program by first putting Vim in the background (^z).

Modern editors like GNU Emacs show you a Python tab when you're editing
a Python file that allows you to do various things with the code, just
like Visual Studio, I don't know about "Aquamacs".

> I believe Grant was suggesting that Emacs often serves a similar purpose
> on Unix to what Visual Studio does on Windows, which seemed to be what
> you were asking.  When asking about Mac OS X here, you are likely to get
> a lot of generic Unix responses.  (Would it have been clearer if he had
> just said "emacs?")

There are several flavors, it's best to specify which one you mean.
People who say Emacs often mean GNU Emacs.

Paulo