Python and xml

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Sat Mar 29 09:57:10 EDT 2008

I am a python neophyte who has used python to parse through text files using basic functions and no OOP experience. I have a need to process some xml files and from what I am now reading python is the exact tool I need to work through this issue.

However, as I read online docs and peruse which books to buy, I am quickly becoming overwhelmed with the topic and could use some guidance on how to best tackle my task. To frame the issue, here is what I would like to be able to do.

I have a statistical program that outputs the data into an xml document. My goal is to use python to parse this document and output a .txt document or .csv document that organizes the results into human-readable rows and columns in a nicely formatted manner.

As I read online docs about xml and python, it seems the topic is very big. While I am more than happy to invest significant time learning this topic, it may be possible to narrow the scope of what I need to know and be able to do in order to complete my task.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed and/or fundamentals I need to learn? Is anyone aware of simple how to docs or other tutorials that demonstrate this kind of task?

Thanks,
Harold