SV: Regarding coding style

Sat Mar 8 19:36:36 EST 2008

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:21:48 +0100, K Viltersten wrote:

> Coming from C++/Java camp i can't help noticing that in most cases, when
> i'm using a class written by somebody else, i don't want to see his/her
> code. I only want to know WHAT the function does (is intended to be
> doing, at least).
>
> I don't want to look at the source code (in some cases i can't even see
> the code because it's compiled). I only care that when i execute
>
>   SomeType obj = SomeType();
>   obj.aggregate();
>
> the object gets aggregated. How it's done will be up to the author. I'm
> just a user of the product.
>
> Now, i'm getting the signal that it's done in a different way in Python.
> Please elaborate. I'm very new to snakeology.

I think even Grant would agree that when you call "help(make_widget)",
you should see something like:

    make_widget(styleID, material) -> widget or
        raise ValueError on failure

        styleID: numeric ID or string name of the widget style
        material: WidgetMaterial instance or None to use default

rather than:

    See source code for details.

*wink*

--