Improving datetime

Nicholas F. Fabry nick.fabry at coredump.us
Wed Mar 19 10:12:15 EDT 2008

This is a query for information as to how to proceed.  I am not a
professional programmer, but I use Python a great deal to help me in
my main job, which involves designing schedules for a global airline.
As such, I use datetime (and dateutil) extensively, and after much
use, I have come to some conclusions about their utility, and how to
improve them.  Some of these changes are quite minor and would result
in a large increase in utility (low hanging fruit), while some changes
are major, and would result in less obvious benefits - but these
changes would increase the 'Python Zen' of them.

So - where should I propose these changes?  Here?  python-dev?  Should
I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
with code samples?  I would volunteer to help maintain/improve
datetime, but I don't speak C at all, unfortunately, and datetime
appears to be in C.

In addition, I have little contact with the Python community - I work
somewhat 'solo' when it comes to my programming projects.  So, are
there other people out there who use datetime?  Dateutil?  What do you
find the deficits/benefits of these modules to be?

Thank you for your thoughts....

Nick Fabry