Python 3000 vs. Python 2.x

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:36:51 EDT 2008

<mr.opus.penguin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2c299cdc-adcd-4540-b09f-43b4147e10ca at y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
| As a new comer to Python I was wondering which is the best to start
| learning.  I've read that a number of significant features have
| changed between the two versions.  Yet, the majority of Python
| programs out in the world are 2.x and it would be nice to understand
| those as well.  Thanks for all the help.

The core language is pretty much the same.  If you forget about the new
advanced features, a major difference is the removal of old stuff not
needed any more.  So basic 3.0 should be a bit easier to learn.  So my
advice (probably minority yet) would be to start with 3.0 (once the first
beta is out next week) and move back when you have a need to.