Windows process ownership trouble

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Jun 26 12:03:01 EDT 2008

geoffbache wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Unfortunately my previous message was premature, it seems your
> workaround doesn't work
> either on my system (Windows XP, Python 2.5.1) I get the following
> printed out
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\TextTest\processown.py", line 12, in <module>
>     os.remove ("filename")
> WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it
> is being used by another process: 'filename'
> close failed: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Strange. I've just double-checked and it works perfectly
well for me, although I haven't traced all the way through
the code paths of the subprocess module: it was a bit of
an educated guess. Just to confirm, I'm talking about this
code running on Python 2.5.2 on Win XP SP2.

<code>
import os
import subprocess

f = open ("filename", "w")
try:
  proc = subprocess.Popen ("blah", stdout=f)
except OSError:
  os.close (f.fileno ())

os.remove ("filename")
</code>

If I get a chance I'll try to look more closely at the subprocess
code. Could you dump out the code (or the interpreter session
in its entirety) just to make sure there's not a typo or a thinko
getting in the way?

TJG