Python for the web

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 10 14:44:42 EDT 2008

> Hello,
> I have developed a python tool that basically does two things:
> 1. Allow the user to search for a keyword or a group of Keywords in a
> specailized collection of text files.  This search option is part of a
> massive custom tree control that was developed using wxpython.
> 2. The rest of the tree control is in the form of concepts (labels for
> the concepts) that the user chooses from to get some text displayed as well.
>
> I have been adviced to use AppEngine but do you think that as my application
> sends a lot of user requests to the server(to ask for some pieces of text to
> be displayed), using CGI will be too slow? Is there a better way of doing
> it? If you can advice me on which tools to use to develop my web page that
> will include a tree structure, I would be very grateful.
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Nora.

If you use the google appengine you probably won't have problems with
performance. Django [1] works with the appengine (as far as I know) so
you can build your app using that framework. If you don't insist on
the appengine you may want to check out turbogears [2] either the
stable version 1 [3] or the brand new but not yet released version 2
[4]. If you don't mind a steep learning curve there is zope [5] but
many tend to agree that for anything small to medium size it's an
overkill. If your app is really simple and any framework feels too
heavy weight you might just go ahead with plain CGI or fastCGI or use
mod_wsgi [6] directly assuming you use apache. The old mod_python [7]
module of apache is not very actively maintained and mod_wsgi is
favored over it but if what you do is a small in-house stuff nobody
will stop you from using it and it can actually be a good option.

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com/
[2] http://turbogears.org/
[3] http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0
[4] http://turbogears.org/2.0/docs/index.html