[Business apps for Windows] Good grid + calendar, etc.?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Sun Jun 1 11:24:17 EDT 2008

Ryan,

<snip>
If you don't mind being Windows-only, there's another approach that I've
been working on. I use a WTL application to host the web browser, then
pass
the browser instance to a COM server written in Python, along with a COM
wrapper of the application window. This gives me the flexibility of HTML
+
JavaScript + Python, but eliminates two of the big issues with web apps:
latency and lack of Windows conventions like keyboard shortcuts and Drag
& Drop.
</snip>

Instead of the COM approach, have you considered using a local, client
based Python server as a container for your business logic and GUI
(DHTML, AJAX)? This would give you a cross platform solution, without
the typical browser/server latency, and via techniques like AJAX,
perhaps more of a desktop look and feel? I haven't done this yet, but
I'm grappling with the same question ("how to create sexy looking
business applications using Python").

Malcolm