Fast and easy GUI prototyping with Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 22:34:22 EDT 2008

Pete Kirkham wrote:
> 2008/6/21 Val-Amart <e.yunak at gmail.com>:
>
>> Use PyQt. You will gain great portability +all the functionality built
>> in qt.
>> You can try PyGTK also, though i wont recommend it.
>>
> Why would you not recommend it? I've been using it for a mall project, and
> would like to know if there's some pit waiting for me to fall into.

The only pitfall is Mac compatibility.  OS X support in GTK is still
under development, and much harder to get running than Qt.  I guess one
other minor thing is that on win32 it's not quite native-looking, but
pretty darn close.

If Gtk provides everything you need, then there's no reason not to use
it.  I personally prefer it to Qt, although Qt is quite far ahead of Gtk
in many ways (including CSS to style widgets).  GTK's licensing is more
appropriate for closed-source projects than Qt under the GPL (and
cheaper too).